Download the Planner template and worksheet
Before you get started, download the Digital Marketing Planner template and worksheet from the link below. The template and worksheet can be easily edited in Microsoft Word, Open Office and other word processors.
Seven steps to a digital marketing plan
Now, here’s a quick run-down of the seven parts that make up the plan. The Planner provides a little more detail and includes examples for each section — and feel free to refer back to the relevant topics in Digital Marketing 101 for Ebooks for more detail. (This link will open the course home page with the full topic listing. We suggest you keep it open in a separate window for easy reference.)
Let’s get started!
Step #1. Set overall campaign goals
In this section, you:
- Set your one or two most important overall campaign objectives
- Highlight key dates
- Set the budget
Step #2. Develop the digital platform: Find and connect to key influencers
In this section, you’ll identify:
- The target audience for this campaign
- How you will reach or connect to them
Step #3. Write down the MAJOR promotional components of the campaign
Identify only the most important promotions here. You’ll refine them later, and work out the detailed steps needed to deliver them, when you create individual plans for each of the digital tools you’ll use.
- Pre-launch/beta testing phase
- Launch phase
- Online bookstore marketing and merchandising
- Post-launch/maintenance phase
Step #4. Make the publications discoverable
The goal here is to ensure that the publications or authors you’re promoting in the campaign will stand out when potential buyers are searching or browsing online.
- Which keywords will you target and how will you identify them?
- Which elements of the book itself can you adapt to improve discoverability?
- What enhanced metadata will you provide?
- What is your SEO (search engine optimization) plan?
Step #5. Set key metrics and analytics
In this section, you set targets and specify how you will measure them.
- What will you measure?
- How will you measure it?
- What is/are your specific, measurable campaign target(s)?
Step #6. Identify the digital marketing tools required
List them here, then use the separate planning pages — one for each tool used— to plan what each will do.
Step #7. Identify and plan other resources
Finally, cover off and plan any other resources that you might need.