In this project, we’ll take the marked-up document you prepared in the previous module and convert it into an ebook in the EPUB format.
For this project, we will use the free online conversion service provided by Lulu.com.
- Part 1. We’ll convert the manuscript to an ebook.
- Part 2. We’ll download and review our ebook.
As you’ll see, most of the work was done in the preparation phase. If you’ve done a good job of marking up your manuscript, the actual conversion process should be quick and straight-forward.
We’ve created tutorials to take you through each step. You’ll need about an hour.
Some preparatory items:
- Make sure you’ve completed the earlier project: Prepare a manuscript for conversion to an ebook. (We’ve provided a sample document you can use in this project, in case you haven’t finished the earlier assignment.)
- We suggest that you keep these instructions open to refer to, or use the links at the bottom of this page to print them, create a PDF of them, or send them to your Kindle or Kindle app.
- The package of example files from the earlier mark-up project includes a dummy cover image and a partly marked-up manuscript file. You can use these files to produce an ebook if you haven’t completed the earlier project. You can use your own files if you prefer.
- If you haven’t already done so, download the project files from the previous module. You should then unzip them into a directory. You can also open the .zip folder by double-clicking on it.
- Revision and reference. If you plan to produce your own cover image, you’ll need to prepare any images as described in the two topics on images and the topic on ebook cover design.
Part 1. Convert your marked-up manuscript to an EPUB ebook
Here’s an outline of what you’ll be doing. The detailed steps are in the accordion sections (click to open them).
- Go to the Lulu.com and sign up for a free account.
- Upload your marked-up manuscript to the Lulu ebook converter.
- Produce a simple cover and create the ebook.
- That’s it. You’ll have an ebook ready to download and read.
- STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS: This will take you through ebook conversion process.
Part 2. Review your ebook
- Get, or install, an ebook reader or app (not a Kindle).
- Download the ebook to your ebook reader.
- Review the ebook.
- INSTRUCTIONS: We’ll show you some common ways to load your ebook into an ebook reading device.
That’s it. You’re done! You’re now an ebook publisher.
Find out more about this topic on our Digital Publishing 101 useful resources site.